Positive feedback of real experiences

Lola's story

Dear Zakia, 
Here is my birth story. I had to turn off my notifications to avoid being stressed by all the calls and texts that began around 39 weeks and focused as much as possible on relaxing, eating, sleeping and breathing... 
Folarin got home from work and tried to do a test run of the pool (as midwife had advised in my morning appointment).The hose was missing, so we couldn't fill it! Mom and Folarin had both gotten ready for bed, but I was feeling restless. Around midnight, I started having what I thought may be Braxton Hicks tightening, but painful, and had to pee constantly...eventually I cleared my bowels (thrice) and knew I was likely in labour, so woke up Folarin to let him know (mom had already figured it out when she heard me going back and forth to the bathroom. 
I laboured at home, still planning to have a home birth. Folarin was still trying to set up the pool, but I had given up on that since we didn't have the hose, and was in the shower breathing through the surges. Folarin began timing the surges and when there were 3 in 10 minutes, called the midwives. While he was on the phone, I suddenly got out of the shower and vomited (this was probably transition); and the surges suddenly became much closer together and more intense. Folarin started putting together my hospital bag and my mom was gathering her things. He said everything is fine, but the community midwives were unavailable, so we are going to the hospital. he dressed me and mom helped me down the stairs. I was on all fours in the backseat as I couldn't sit. we got to reception and as usual, the midwife had no idea how far along I was because of hypnobirthing. The midwife asked me for a urine test, so I went in the bathroom, but when I pulled down my pants saw something that was coming out. I called the midwife to tell her but she said it was just cervical mucus. I told her I couldn't urinate, so we went into the exam room in reception. She took my blood pressure and measured baby's heart rate. She told me to kneel on all fours for the vaginal exam since I couldn't lie down. When I got on the gurney, she immediately called for another midwife. She said she didn't think we would make it to the birthing room. I heard Folarin telling her to start filling a pool anyway, and to wheel me to the birthing room on the gurney. We got there and the pool was full enough for me to get in. The lights were dim and my mom was in the corner telling me "pele" ("sorry"/a Yoruba form of commiserating) when I had a surge, and Folarin spoke to me softly holding my hand and reminding me to breath and saying uplifting things. The midwives were mostly silent. I down breathed that way for about 45 minutes and he was born at 6.10 am! 
The midwives and my mom were absolutely amazed by what hypnobirthing labour looked like (and the fact that my labour only lasted for a total of 6 hours for a first baby). Even though It didn't go exactly according to plan, it was incredible, life affirming experience and I am so grateful I had it. There are so many ways in which things could have gone differently, at many different points in late pregnancy and in labour but hypnobirthing gave us the tools to have a beautiful birth and welcome our baby in such a gentle yet powerful way. he came out in his sac (just like Gustave!!!), and he was all wrapped up in his cord (around his neck, waist and legs -there is a special meaning when a baby is born wrapped in his/her cord in Yoruba culture). 
Literally midwives stopped by our room to chat about hypnobirthing and my 6 hour labour, having heard about it from the midwives who attended our birth! I felt like some sort of legend :) my mom calls me superwoman and everyone we've told is desperate to sign up to a hypnobirthing course. It's so funny/crazy....Anyway, there's your morning long read” Lola

Emma’s story  
“We had such a different birth experience to the first one; it was really positive, really empowering. 
Delivering my little boy was truly amazing - I was totally elated (kept shouting 'I did it, I did it!), and felt really calm and in control at every stage. I was lucid enough to be able to tell off a midwife who advised me to 'get angry with the pain' (! not at all helpful language, and I politely but firmly told her NOT to say it again!),  We had immediate skin-to-skin cuddles and he was breastfeeding within an hour. From that first 'this is a surge' moment of realisation, to holding my little boy in my arms was 2.5 hours. Absolutely incredible! 
I really wanted to let you know how helpful I found hypnobirthing during his birth. I also wanted to let you know how cathartic it was to talk through my first birth with you during our sessions in the summer. Despite having an assisted delivery with a little bit of drama (and an episiotomy AND a second degree tear), I had a really positive birth, and have definitely laid some demons to rest from first time round. Two weeks on I am healing well, he is feeding like a champ, and we are all in love with him! 
Thank you so much for all your help and support. 
Hugs from Emma and Pete xx” 

Carys’s birth story

Hi Zakia, 
“Just getting in touch to say thank you so much for your help and advice during the hypnobirthing course. I had a really great, empowering birth and both Dan and I agree that the hypnobirthing really made a massive difference. I think that generally the recordings and all the information we were given and discussions we had made me feel relaxed, prepared and capable in the run up to birth and therefore calmer and in control during labour. We ended up having an induction at 12 days past due date (in the hopes of still getting a water birth in the delivery suite-didn’t make it!) and nothing went along with the birthing plan but we were able to handle that and make informed, confident choices.  In terms of pain relief, I didn’t even have gas and air and Dan said it was amazing how calm and focused I was throughout. The recordings helped me sleep during a lot of waiting around in hospital and kept me focussed. I also did a yoga active birthing course which helped physically with labour positions along with the breathing and visualisation you showed us. We’re both doing really well and time has flown-5 weeks old today. 
Thanks again and please feel free to quote me.
It worked for me!! Thanks again

Carys & Dan